|INSTRUCTION FOR DOCUMENT AUTHENTICATION|
Authentication is also called certification or legalization. It is a governmental act by which a designated public official (e.g. a consular officer at an Embassy or a consul of a Consulate) certifies the genuineness of the signature and/or seal and the position of the person/official who has executed, issued or authenticated (a copy of) a document. A consular authentication in no way attests to the authenticity of the contents of a document.
The Chinese Consulate General in Lagos, Nigeria only authenticates documents which are executed and have been authenticated by the Foreign Ministry of the Federal Republic of Nigeria and will be used in China.
- Documents should first be notarized by a local state-level Notary Public;
- then, The Notarized document should be legalized by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Federal Republic of Nigeria;
- finally, Authenticated by the Chinese Embassy or Consulate-General in Nigeria. The Embassy or the Consulate-General of the People's Republic of China authenticates the official's signature and seal of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Nigeria;
1. Original documents to be authenticated;
2. One photocopy of the complete documents to be authenticated. Photocopy includes the pages authenticated by relevant authorities, the page notarized by a Notary Public and the original document.
3. One completely filled out Authentication Application Form.
4. In cases of commercial authentication, a copy of the company's license and good standing certificate of the company are also required.
5. Copy of passport or ID of the applicant;
6. Introduction letter to state clearly the purpose of the authentication;
7. Other documents needed for the specified cases;
8. Copy of all above-mentioned documents should be attached before submission. Otherwise, the documents may be sent back for photocopy, because of which, if the authentication delayed, the Embassy or Consulate-General will not be responsible for the consequences.
Pickup and Payments:
- Regularly it takes 4 business days to process your application. No appointment is necessary.
- Authentication fees are 8400 Naira per civil document and 16800 Naira per document regarding property, finance or business.
The above information is subject to change without notice. To download the Authentication Application Form, please see attachments.